Friday 9 May 2014

Turning Point

Yesterday I got back from my last school camp at Luther Heights, Coolum. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Yes, we did some amazing activities and yes, it was a chill camp, so everything we did was going to be fun anyway, but it has given me the opportunity to become closer to two of the most important people in my life: God and my best friend.

We left for camp on Tuesday and did pretty much nothing all day. We spent all of Wednesday at the beach. Thursday was spent doing activities back at camp and yesterday (Friday) we came back home.

Okay, so now that you know the general layout of camp, I will begin.

So after arriving on Tuesday, we had lunch, then went down to the beach, then came back to camp, had dinner, watched Pitch Perfect, then went to bed.
On Wednesday, we went for an early morning walk along the beach, came back, had breakfast, then played 1 2 3 Freeze on the basketball courts (if you don't know what it is, it is a basketball game kind of like Hot Seat, but if someone gets a hoop, everyone runs and the person who got a hoop calls "1 2 3 freeze" and everyone freezes and the person has to roll the ball and get someone out). After that, we went back down to the beach and did a bit of shopping, then we came back for lunch, and then we went back to the beach. We came back to have dinner, then we split into guys/girls groups. I can only speak for the girls (obviously), but it was so amazingly deep. One of the girls shared her testimony about how God saved her out of depression and it spoke to all of us so deeply. The Holy Spirit filled everyone's hearts and everyone in the room was either crying, praying or both. It was so overwhelming and it has changed my life so much.
After that, we joined again with the guys and had a camp fire and my best friend gave me one of the most touching letters I have ever received about how I have changed his life.
On Thursday we went on another morning walk, had breakfast again and then went through a labyrinth. I assume it was supposed to be deep, but the guy explaining what to do was too vague and it just became awkward. We then went shopping again, had lunch and then did the high ropes course. It was so much fun and jumping off at the end was a great challenge, but all-in-all it wasn't too bad. We had dinner and split up again, but this time the guys were with the female teachers and we were with the male teachers. Basically, they told us about how girls have a certain beauty that guys don't have and that we should cherish it because it is so rare in the girls of today's society. After that we had a dance night and then went to bed again.
Yesterday we went on the walk, had breakfast, packed, then went shopping one last time (from 9:30 to 12). We came back to camp, had lunch and then left. I was in the little bus and I sat next to him and we had such a deep conversation. After stopping at Kilcoy, we got back on the bus. Everyone was in their own little world, having their personal conversations. A few people were singing, but they were different songs and they were clashing. I decided I would sing my own song - Fireflies - to drown out the noise. By the end of the song, everyone on the bus was singing along with me. The most amazing part of all of it was that everyone had agreed on something without even discussing it. No one spoke, we all just worked together.

Camp was amazing and this is one of those very few times when I am going to say that I wish I could be on camp forever. I don't generally say that because it always takes so much out of me and I'm so tired by the end. Yes, I am really tired from camp, but if we didn't do so much in such a small amount of time - if the activities were spread out further - I would definitely spend at least the next year at camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment